at 8:40 PM
More than 20,000 people die of hunger EVERY DAY and this is entirely preventable.
1. Ryan will only eat one bowl of rice each day. He will only drink water, but can drink as much as he wants.
2. Ryan will make a 3 minute (approx.) video update each day with his thoughts on the experience. He will try to make these interesting. Heh.
3. This will continue until $1,000,000 has been raised for organizations focused on hunger internationally.
4. Each day, visitors to www.simplesizeme.com will vote for which organization should receive the funds donated on the following day. Whoever wins the votes on Monday will be the beneficiary on Tuesday. The idea here is to encourage as much participation as possible, so go to it!!
5. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to suggest an organization doing work to relieve hunger internationally. Not interested in US programs at this time.
6. Email email@example.com with anything you want and maybe I'll put it in one of my videos.
I'm doing this for my personal benefit, to challenge my peers, and to do a little good in the world. For me, it is an exploration of several concepts:
1. In my job as a fundraiser for a neighborhood nonprofit, I often think to myself, "If just ONE rich person would take up our cause and tell all their friends to chip in, we'd be set." I just realized recently that in the global scheme of things, I am one of those rich people with rich connections. So I wanted to do for the global poor the thing that I wish someone would do for the American poor here in my neighborhood.
2. I hope this project will attract a wide variety of people. It's a big tent and everyone who comes is the right people. Having said that, much of the motivation for this project is born out of my own personal interest in Jesus. Jesus has strong words about the rich and the poor. I want to pursue those themes more deeply and encourage others to do the same, whatever their faith perspective.
3. I think it is worthwhile to take some time to experience a tiny fraction of the hunger that billions of people around the world struggle with every day.
4. I am fascinated with the internet, philanthropy, and how the two can work together. This is my "big idea" to try to make a mark in those worlds and learn a few things.
5. If this does succeed, it will help me do my actual job better. If many many people find this interesting and lend me an ear, then at the appropriate time I can pitch them on the great stuff happening at www.ayudacc.org